Environmental Health

Environmental Health staff are in the field and office on an irregular basis. If you would like to schedule a time to talk with an inspector, please see the “Contact Us” tab at the bottom of this page.

The Environmental Health Department serves to promote health and protect the public from environmental health issues. Services include:

  • Inspecting licensed facilities
  • Investigating public complaints regarding environmental health hazards, reported cases of food-borne illness, waterborne illness, and other non-communicable and communicable diseases, and animal bites
  • Providing services to public water systems to increase compliance with drinking water rules
  • Surveying public water systems in the county to ensure compliance with the Safe Drinking Water Act
  • Providing information on diseases and vectors to public
  • Working with other governmental agencies in conducting epidemiological or environmental investigations.

Environmental Health ensures documentation of identifiable environmental health threats and enforcement of appropriate Oregon Revised Statutes and Oregon Administrative Rules.

How can I get a food handler’s card?

Information about food handler classes and testing times can be found here.

I lost my food handler’s card; how can I get another one?

If you took the test through the Tillamook County Community Health Centers, a replacement card can be obtained at our office for a fee of $5. Call our office at 503-842-3943 for more information. For testing done online, please visit the website through which you took the exam to reprint a copy. The site recommended by Tillamook County Environmental Health is www.orfoodhandlers.com

I think I got food poisoning from a restaurant. How do I go about filing a complaint against the restaurant?

If you think you got sick from eating at a restaurant in Tillamook County, call us at 503-842-3909 to file a complaint. Be prepared to provide us with information about specific foods eaten, symptoms you experienced, and a history of food consumed several days prior to onset of symptoms.

Foodborne Illness

I found a dead bird; do you think it died from West Nile Virus? Will someone from the Health Department come pick it up?

A large or continuous die-off of birds, especially crows, ravens, or jays, may be a sign that West Nile Virus is circulating between the birds and the mosquitoes in that area. If you notice an unusual number of dead jays or crows in your area, notify Tillamook County Environmental Health at 503-842-3902. More information on West Nile Virus can be found here.

I want to open a new restaurant. How do I get a license?

Before a new restaurant can be opened in Tillamook County, a formal plan review must be done. A Restaurant Review Packet and Pre-Opening Checklist can be found here. Complete the plan review worksheets and return them to Tillamook County Environmental Health with a copy of your floor plan. Once plan review approval has been granted, an annual restaurant license can be obtained.

How do I get a license for a Mobile Unit?

New mobile units and mobile units that have not been licensed for over a year are required to go through a plan review. A Mobile Unit Plan Review packet and general information about Mobile Food Units in Tillamook County can be found here.

How is a Mobile Unit different from a Restaurant?

A Mobile Unit is defined as: any vehicle that is self-propelled, or can be pulled or pushed down a sidewalk, street, highway, or waterway, on which food is prepared, processed, or converted or which is used in selling and dispensing food to the ultimate consumer.

What kind of license do I need?

Can I hold a public potluck?

No, public potlucks are not allowed per Oregon administrative Rules 3-201.11(B). For more information, visit our website.

What do I have to do if I want to open a booth and sell food at an event?

A temporary restaurant license is required. More information about temporary restaurant licensing can be found here.

How much does a Temporary Event License cost?

A fee schedule can be downloaded here.

If I do get a license for a temporary event, can I bring food from home?

Home canned or home processed foods are NOT permitted, except privately donated bread, rolls, pies, cakes, doughnuts, or other pastries not having perishable fillings, icings, toppings, or glazes may be used in temporary restaurants operated by benevolent organizations. A notice shall be posted in public view that says “Food served at this location may not have been inspected by the Health Department.”

I was bitten by a dog. What can I do about that? What if the dog has rabies?

Information about dog bites and quarantine can be found here.

I think my drinking water at home is making me sick; will the Health Department test it for me?

If you suspect chemical or bacterial contamination of your drinking water, you need to contact your water supplier and inquire about recent testing results. If it is a private well, the owner is responsible for all testing. Sampling for Nitrates and Bacteria is recommended. A list of testing labs can be found here.

What can I do about a bad mold problem in my house?

Information about household mold and mildews can be found here.

Can the Health Department do something about my neighbor’s trashy yard?

For complaints within the city of Tillamook, you can contact the City Hall at 503-842-2472. If outside the city limits but within Tillamook County, call Community Development at 503-842-3408.

Can I purchase quat and/or chlorine test strips through the Health Department? Can I purchase thin-tip probe thermometers?

Yes, quat test strips and chlorine test strips may be purchased through the Health Department. The cost is $6.00 per box. Thin-tip probe thermometers are $25 each. To order, please contact Allison at 503-842-3943.

Jaime Craig, Environmental Health Program Manager
Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm

Andrew Davis, Environmental Health Specialist Trainee
Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm

Allison Bonato-Garcia, Office Specialist
Monday through Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm

Our office is located next door to the Main Health Center at 2111 8th St, Tillamook (entrance on 8th St).

PHONE: 1-800-528-2938 OR 503-842-3943
TTY: OREGON RELAY: 1-800-735-2900

FAX: 503-842-3983